Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lotty dotty, it's time to potty!

Disclaimer: I'm a mom of a toddler. There will be talk of pee and potties in this post. If this is something you are not comfortable with then... get over it. I'm sure it won't be the last time I post about this subject. Carry on.

So, I figured I'd start officially start potty training Jack after his 2nd birthday. I bought him a potty seat to go on the big potty and we "play" potty just to get him comfortable. He loves to go in the bathroom and go through the motions of getting on the potty and sitting for a bit, getting some toilet paper and putting it in the potty, getting down and flushing the potty, and then washing his hands. He LOVES to do this, however, he can't get on and off the potty by himself so I have to be very available to help him (which, of course, is expected and no big deal). We've been doing this for several weeks now and Jack has yet to go "pee pee on the potty".

Today Jack came to me and said "pee pee", which usually means that he just went pee pee and wants a diaper change. I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty and he said "K!" (which means yes if you'll remember). Now, it might not have been the best time to put him on the potty as I'm watching Drew today and was wearing Caroline on my chest in the sling which limits my mobility just a bit, but I digress. So, off with the pants and diaper and on the potty seat we go. Of course, Jack doesn't want to actually GO on the potty, he just wants to go through the steps described above - twice! However, through the entire process he kept saying "pee pee, pee pee". I just figured he was talking about going pee pee since he'd just gone in his diaper. He wanted back on the potty a third time and I asked him to wait, sans pants, in the bathroom so that I could go take Caroline off and put her in her crib. I come out of Caroline's room and look into the bathroom. No Jack. I hear a squeal of joy and see Jack and Drew at the end of the hall, Jack looking bewildered and Drew playing in a huge puddle of PEE!!! EWWW! Apparently, Jack was telling me he needed to go pee pee and did so all over the living room floor. Thank goodness he was not standing on the rug! Both boys were promptly plunked into the bath for some bubble time since they were both soaked. Wow.

So, this afternoon, we'll be heading to Babies R Us to pick up an actual potty since Jack can't maneuver onto the big potty by himself. It looks as though we'll be potty training sooner than we expected - as in now! I was not at all prepared for this!

No comments: